Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How is NYC Treating You?

A dear friend asked, "How is New York treating you?"

And I responded that as always, it allows you to do whatever you think possible.

Then it hit me. We always think of New York City as an individual, not as a city. And it is alive. Even its residence call it The City. No one thinks of it as a city in the way we think of say Los Angels or Chicago, Austin. Those are amazing cities, made up of fabulous populations served by their city.

New York is a fabulous city served by its population. And what a fabulous population. Millions of immigrates come to hundreds of neighborhoods and make up cities within The City. The wealthy visit The City but don't live here. They are permanent tourist. There are many permanent tourist; college students, interns, assigned workers and folks who don't want to be here.

How is NYC treating me? Not at all. Sadly, this time it really is all about me. What I do determines how I treat New York. How I serve her residences is the treatment. Her residences will ignore me, that's a given, I'm just another body taking up space on the subway. However, I make a difference, give up my seat for no reason, smile, something positive, give a cup of water in Jesus' name... then I will have treated NYC.

Check us out later to see how I'm treating The City.

No comments:

Post a Comment