Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day Alert.

Thank you all daughters out there who are born of other women but are also daughters to those that love you.

Last Mom's Day weekend was special because of all of my lovely spiritual daughters, devoted friends, loved ones and nieces circled me with the honor due a mother. Now that I know the true meaning of flabbergast.

I freely admit it was drudgery every Mother's Day at church to listen to compliments lauded upon mothers and grandmothers, so justly deserved by all means--I piled them on as well! But the sermons in church about did me in until I stopped going to church on Mother's Days, I simply couldn't take it when they asked the grandmothers to stand. 

It was saluting the grandmoms that did it. Over the years I had resoved the motherhood thing and how it related to my womanhood, sisterhood, Christianity and life in general. But the idea of never being a grandmother was something I simply hadn't puzzled through. And those annual on those Sundays once a year in May did not help.

But this year it did not matter. On Mother's Day Weekend, young women came to me, thanking me for being me for them. What? How? Each of them had mothers to exonerate, honor, revere. I had  planned to focus on my mom and let the day follow its course.

No, these particular young women determined to honor me on Mother's Day Weekend. In order to carry off their plans, the ring leader had to make sure I'd be around so the "cat-was-out-of-the-bag". Thus I had a week of unbelief regarding this "setup". Then truly they picked me up and off we went to bunch, gifts, readings, laughs, honors, tea and prayer.

They made it clear that to them I was their NYC mom. They adopted me. Not replacing their moms, but announcing me to be the mom God brought them. Amazing, me a mom at 60! And an oxtimom at that!

So like Sarah at an old age, God blessed her. And now my quiver is full with 8 young women from that Saturday.

Rejoice my daughters, rejoice for God will bless you as He has blessed me. You have honored me above yourselves.


1 comment: